I like having a good time, well who doesn’t? The secret I learnt about having a good time is that the longer it’s extended the better, kinda makes sense why Mondays are hated (light bulb!). It so happens that having a good time is one of the great Kenyan habits we love to celebrate and finding an excuse to celebrate (I think its African). In the spirit of keeping it real with my Kenyaness, as the world marked International Women’s Day this March…I’m saying let it be Women’s Month!cel•e•brate verb \ˈse-lə-ˌbrāt v.intr. 1) To observe an occasion with appropriate ceremony or festivity. 2) To engage in festivities
So other than the drinks going around-okay where I’m at, there have been drinks going round the entire week, and Yes tea does count! I thought what better way to celebrate and give a toast to the womenfolk than through some (interesting) facts about women.
PS: If it so happens that I do not survive this month by virtue of some of these “toasts”, then I say unto you… “Life is too short, go ahead poke the bear and cross the road”
1. The female sex sign is represented by a small cross with a circle on top; and this sign actually is the same one which represents planet Venus (men are from someplace-the pitch and women are from Venus)
2. Women mature much faster than men; so explains their command of diction and fast paced talking. I guess also why it is said that man discovered fire, but the woman learned how to use it
3. The two highest IQ’s ever recorded (on a standard test) both belong to women.
4. Female mechanics get paid more than male mechanics Why? For the answer we revert to stereotypes: Women are more verbal than men, they’re easier to approach and to talk to and both genders agree that women instill more trust in others — at least with car trouble.
5. Almost everywhere in the world, women have a higher life expectancy than men do.
6. Women own only 1% of the world’s land
7. Approximately one in five women worldwide reports being sexually abused before the age of 15
8. Over 100,000 girls got pregnant in South Africa in 2011 from old men
9. About 16 million adolescent girls become pregnant each year, with over 90% of those girls living in developing countries.
10. Each day 800 women die as result of pregnancy or childbirth complications. Nearly 99% of these deaths occur in developing nations with more than half of these deaths occurring in sub-Saharan Africa and almost one third occurring in South Asia.
11. There was a woman who was pregnant for 17 months 11 days and is recorded as the longest human pregnancy ever.
12. 1 in 10 African adolescent girls miss school during menses and eventually drop out because of menstruation-related issues. But then a donation of Kshs.200 towards buying sanitary pads can keep a Kenyan girl in school for one year?
13. Globally less than 16% of the world’s parliamentarians are women. In Kenya recent election only 16 Women had been elected as MPs. None of those that vied for the governor or senator positions won. The number of women MPs elect may remain the same as in the previous parliament despite the exponential increase of constituencies from 210 to 290 countrywide.
14. For the first time in the history of the Olympics, the 2012 U.S Olympic team had more women than men. 269 women and 261 men.
15. Women who play more online video games tend to be happier in their relationships than those who don’t.
16. The average guy’s largest muscles: His quadriceps (yaani the sqwaqs or maskwembes) the average woman: Her uterus
17. The average guy spends 1 hour and 20 minutes a week looking for the TV remote. The average woman: 7 minutes (I don’t mind the average, coz I think I’m above average but once I searched for the remote for 12 hours)
18. 93% of female mobile phone users feel safer with a phone, 85% feel more independent; 41% use their phones to increase their income and professional opportunities. I just wonder why then it takes them too long to find the phones in their hand bags when ringing
19. Women will drive miles out of their way to avoid the possibility of getting lost using a shortcut
20. The most embarrassing thing for women is to find another woman wearing the same dress at a formal party
21. If a woman goes on a seven-day trip she’ll pack 21 outfits because she doesn’t know what she’ll feel like wearing each day. DARE to offer to carry her luggage and you’ll share my experience